We describe the design and fabrication of an ultracompact optical mode order converter employing submicron waveguides. The mode converter can realize optical mode conversion between zeroth- and first-order optical modes with a device footprint less than 18 μm by 3 μm. The optical mode converter could be employed in various types of photonic integrated circuits where optical mode order conversion is needed.
- Finite-difference time-domain (FDTD)
- Mach-Zehnder interferometer
- Mode converter
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering