An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads

Jane S. Moon, David Bliss, Catherine J. Hunter*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

14 Scopus citations

Abstract

Foreign body ingestion occurs most commonly in the pediatric population. Small bowel obstruction is a rare complication that can occur, and surgical intervention is required. We present the first report of a case of an 18-month-old child with a jejunal obstruction caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads used for botanical arrangements. The child presented with obstipation and nonbloody, nonbilious emesis. Symptoms resolved after a large bead 3 cm in diameter was retrieved via laparoscopic-assisted excision. This case suggests that water-storing gel beads are particularly dangerous foreign bodies and should be kept out of the reach of children.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalJournal of Pediatric Surgery
Volume47
Issue number9
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 1 2012

Keywords

  • Foreign body
  • Intestine obstruction
  • Pediatric

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this