Arthroscopic repair of anterosuperior rotator cuff tears combined with open biceps tenodesis

Shane J. Nho, Rachel M. Frank, Stefanie N. Reiff, Nikhil N. Verma, Anthony A. Romeo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

42 Scopus citations

Abstract

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to look at the functional outcomes of arthroscopic repair of anterosuperior rotator cuff tears with open biceps tenodesis when indicated. Methods: We retrospectively reviewed the cases of 17 patients (17 shoulders) who underwent arthroscopic repair of anterosuperior tears with concurrent open biceps tenodesis. At final follow-up, an independent examiner collected shoulder functional outcome scores including the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons score, Simple Shoulder Test, and visual analog pain scale. Objective information including range of motion and strength was also collected. Results: Of the 17 patients, 13 (77%) were available for evaluation with a mean age of 52.7 ± 7.0 years at the time of surgery (range, 32 to 65 years) and a mean follow-up of 34.6 ± 10.5 months (range, 14 to 52 months). The mean American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons score improved from 50.6 ± 18.9 (range, 13 to 75) preoperatively to 89.6 ± 7.5 (range, 50 to 100) postoperatively (P < .001). There was a significant increase in the mean Simple Shoulder Test score from 6.1 ± 3.2 preoperatively (range, 0 to 10) to 10.7 ± 1.2 (range, 9 to 12) postoperatively (P < .001). Of the 13 patients, 11 (85%) patients were "delighted" with the surgical outcome and the other 2 patients (15%) were "pleased." Conclusions: Arthroscopic repair of anterosuperior rotator cuff tears with open biceps tenodesis provides a significant improvement in pain relief and shoulder function. Level of Evidence: Level IV, therapeutic case series.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1667-1674+e211
JournalArthroscopy - Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery
Volume26
Issue number12
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 2010
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Arthroscopic repair of anterosuperior rotator cuff tears combined with open biceps tenodesis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this