We present a mathematical model of coherent and incoherent beam combination in a thick hologram. We also derive the formulae relating the read and write angles to the read and write wavelengths for the combiner. Furthermore, we present a new technique for determining the M#, and establish that the M# required for a coherent combiner is substantially less than that needed for an incoherent one.
- Volume holographic gratings
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering