Consensus interferon used to treat prior partial-responders to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin

Christopher M. Moore, Magdalena George, David H. Van Thiel*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The response to pegylated interferon (peg-IFN) plus ribavirin therapy remains less than ideal with 40-50% of treated subjects failing to clear the virus. Moreover, retreatment is only minimally effective. Consensus interferon (c-IFN) has been shown to be efficacious in HCV genotype 1 patients who have failed therapy with peg-IFN. Aim: To evaluated the response to re-treatment of peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial-responders with c-IFN plus ribavirin. Methods: Forty-two subjects who had previously failed to clear virus after treatment with peg-IFN plus ribavirin were treated with c-IFN (15 μg/day) plus ribavirin (800-1,200 mg/day) until 12 months of therapy or a total of six consecutive months of PCR negativity was achieved. Results: The study population consisted predominantly of males (71%), Caucasians (76%), with African Americans comprising the remaining 24%, subjects with HCV genotype 1 infection (81%) and 21% had cirrhosis by liver biopsy. The overall SVR rate was 29%. The only pretreatment variable that distinguished responders from partial-responders was the serum triglyceride level. Conclusions: The use of c-IFN plus ribavirin in the retreatment of prior peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial responders is essentially twice that achieved in prior re-treatment regimens consisting of a second course of peg-IFN plus ribavirin. These results will need to be evaluated against the use of triple therapy consisting of a peg-IFN plus ribavirin and a protease inhibitor. More studies utilizing c-IFN plus ribavirin with either a protease inhibitor or polymerase inhibitor need to be performed as well.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3032-3037
Number of pages6
JournalDigestive diseases and sciences
Volume56
Issue number10
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 1 2011

Fingerprint

Ribavirin
Interferons
Retreatment
Protease Inhibitors
Therapeutics
Genotype
Viruses
Liver Cirrhosis
African Americans
Triglycerides

Keywords

  • Consensus-interferon
  • HCV re-treatment
  • HCV treatment
  • Partial responders

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Gastroenterology
  • Physiology

Cite this

@article{c2cabe600e7b4306aa5dd174257410b8,
title = "Consensus interferon used to treat prior partial-responders to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin",
abstract = "Background: The response to pegylated interferon (peg-IFN) plus ribavirin therapy remains less than ideal with 40-50{\%} of treated subjects failing to clear the virus. Moreover, retreatment is only minimally effective. Consensus interferon (c-IFN) has been shown to be efficacious in HCV genotype 1 patients who have failed therapy with peg-IFN. Aim: To evaluated the response to re-treatment of peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial-responders with c-IFN plus ribavirin. Methods: Forty-two subjects who had previously failed to clear virus after treatment with peg-IFN plus ribavirin were treated with c-IFN (15 μg/day) plus ribavirin (800-1,200 mg/day) until 12 months of therapy or a total of six consecutive months of PCR negativity was achieved. Results: The study population consisted predominantly of males (71{\%}), Caucasians (76{\%}), with African Americans comprising the remaining 24{\%}, subjects with HCV genotype 1 infection (81{\%}) and 21{\%} had cirrhosis by liver biopsy. The overall SVR rate was 29{\%}. The only pretreatment variable that distinguished responders from partial-responders was the serum triglyceride level. Conclusions: The use of c-IFN plus ribavirin in the retreatment of prior peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial responders is essentially twice that achieved in prior re-treatment regimens consisting of a second course of peg-IFN plus ribavirin. These results will need to be evaluated against the use of triple therapy consisting of a peg-IFN plus ribavirin and a protease inhibitor. More studies utilizing c-IFN plus ribavirin with either a protease inhibitor or polymerase inhibitor need to be performed as well.",
keywords = "Consensus-interferon, HCV re-treatment, HCV treatment, Partial responders",
author = "Moore, {Christopher M.} and Magdalena George and {Van Thiel}, {David H.}",
year = "2011",
month = "10",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1007/s10620-011-1869-6",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "56",
pages = "3032--3037",
journal = "Digestive Diseases and Sciences",
issn = "0163-2116",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "10",

}

Consensus interferon used to treat prior partial-responders to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin. / Moore, Christopher M.; George, Magdalena; Van Thiel, David H.

In: Digestive diseases and sciences, Vol. 56, No. 10, 01.10.2011, p. 3032-3037.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Consensus interferon used to treat prior partial-responders to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin

AU - Moore, Christopher M.

AU - George, Magdalena

AU - Van Thiel, David H.

PY - 2011/10/1

Y1 - 2011/10/1

N2 - Background: The response to pegylated interferon (peg-IFN) plus ribavirin therapy remains less than ideal with 40-50% of treated subjects failing to clear the virus. Moreover, retreatment is only minimally effective. Consensus interferon (c-IFN) has been shown to be efficacious in HCV genotype 1 patients who have failed therapy with peg-IFN. Aim: To evaluated the response to re-treatment of peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial-responders with c-IFN plus ribavirin. Methods: Forty-two subjects who had previously failed to clear virus after treatment with peg-IFN plus ribavirin were treated with c-IFN (15 μg/day) plus ribavirin (800-1,200 mg/day) until 12 months of therapy or a total of six consecutive months of PCR negativity was achieved. Results: The study population consisted predominantly of males (71%), Caucasians (76%), with African Americans comprising the remaining 24%, subjects with HCV genotype 1 infection (81%) and 21% had cirrhosis by liver biopsy. The overall SVR rate was 29%. The only pretreatment variable that distinguished responders from partial-responders was the serum triglyceride level. Conclusions: The use of c-IFN plus ribavirin in the retreatment of prior peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial responders is essentially twice that achieved in prior re-treatment regimens consisting of a second course of peg-IFN plus ribavirin. These results will need to be evaluated against the use of triple therapy consisting of a peg-IFN plus ribavirin and a protease inhibitor. More studies utilizing c-IFN plus ribavirin with either a protease inhibitor or polymerase inhibitor need to be performed as well.

AB - Background: The response to pegylated interferon (peg-IFN) plus ribavirin therapy remains less than ideal with 40-50% of treated subjects failing to clear the virus. Moreover, retreatment is only minimally effective. Consensus interferon (c-IFN) has been shown to be efficacious in HCV genotype 1 patients who have failed therapy with peg-IFN. Aim: To evaluated the response to re-treatment of peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial-responders with c-IFN plus ribavirin. Methods: Forty-two subjects who had previously failed to clear virus after treatment with peg-IFN plus ribavirin were treated with c-IFN (15 μg/day) plus ribavirin (800-1,200 mg/day) until 12 months of therapy or a total of six consecutive months of PCR negativity was achieved. Results: The study population consisted predominantly of males (71%), Caucasians (76%), with African Americans comprising the remaining 24%, subjects with HCV genotype 1 infection (81%) and 21% had cirrhosis by liver biopsy. The overall SVR rate was 29%. The only pretreatment variable that distinguished responders from partial-responders was the serum triglyceride level. Conclusions: The use of c-IFN plus ribavirin in the retreatment of prior peg-IFN plus ribavirin partial responders is essentially twice that achieved in prior re-treatment regimens consisting of a second course of peg-IFN plus ribavirin. These results will need to be evaluated against the use of triple therapy consisting of a peg-IFN plus ribavirin and a protease inhibitor. More studies utilizing c-IFN plus ribavirin with either a protease inhibitor or polymerase inhibitor need to be performed as well.

KW - Consensus-interferon

KW - HCV re-treatment

KW - HCV treatment

KW - Partial responders

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=80054753919&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=80054753919&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s10620-011-1869-6

DO - 10.1007/s10620-011-1869-6

M3 - Article

C2 - 21879283

AN - SCOPUS:80054753919

VL - 56

SP - 3032

EP - 3037

JO - Digestive Diseases and Sciences

JF - Digestive Diseases and Sciences

SN - 0163-2116

IS - 10

ER -