First metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties in the commonwealth of Virginia

J. S. O'Keefe, J. Schweitzer, D. J. Bentrem, W. P. Glasheen, R. F. Edlich*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

This retrospective analysis of arthroplasty of the first metatarsophalangeal joint documents the incidence of surgery as well as the selection of the commercially available implants. During a 1-year period, 1994, arthroplasties were performed in 47 of the 1.7 million subscribers to Trigon Blue Cross Blue Shield of Virginia. Women received the majority of the arthroplasties (83%). Of the 47 cases, the silicone implant was predominantly used (83%). The most common indications for arthroplasty were hallux valgus (30%) and hallux rigidus (28%). Podiatrists performed 79% of the procedures, while orthopedic surgeons performed the remaining 21% of the cases. A prospective study is needed that will assess the long-term performance of the different implants.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)105-110
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants
Volume5
Issue number2
StatePublished - Dec 1 1995

Fingerprint

Metatarsophalangeal Joint
Arthroplasty
Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance Plans
Hallux Rigidus
Hallux Valgus
Orthopedics
Silicones
Surgery
Prospective Studies
Incidence

Keywords

  • first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty
  • implant
  • silicone

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Dentistry(all)

Cite this

O'Keefe, J. S. ; Schweitzer, J. ; Bentrem, D. J. ; Glasheen, W. P. ; Edlich, R. F. / First metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties in the commonwealth of Virginia. In: Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants. 1995 ; Vol. 5, No. 2. pp. 105-110.
@article{9f81872b2ac9410f8da177427b7ff60c,
title = "First metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties in the commonwealth of Virginia",
abstract = "This retrospective analysis of arthroplasty of the first metatarsophalangeal joint documents the incidence of surgery as well as the selection of the commercially available implants. During a 1-year period, 1994, arthroplasties were performed in 47 of the 1.7 million subscribers to Trigon Blue Cross Blue Shield of Virginia. Women received the majority of the arthroplasties (83{\%}). Of the 47 cases, the silicone implant was predominantly used (83{\%}). The most common indications for arthroplasty were hallux valgus (30{\%}) and hallux rigidus (28{\%}). Podiatrists performed 79{\%} of the procedures, while orthopedic surgeons performed the remaining 21{\%} of the cases. A prospective study is needed that will assess the long-term performance of the different implants.",
keywords = "first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty, implant, silicone",
author = "O'Keefe, {J. S.} and J. Schweitzer and Bentrem, {D. J.} and Glasheen, {W. P.} and Edlich, {R. F.}",
year = "1995",
month = "12",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "5",
pages = "105--110",
journal = "Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants",
issn = "1050-6934",
publisher = "Begell House Inc.",
number = "2",

}

O'Keefe, JS, Schweitzer, J, Bentrem, DJ, Glasheen, WP & Edlich, RF 1995, 'First metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties in the commonwealth of Virginia', Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 105-110.

First metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties in the commonwealth of Virginia. / O'Keefe, J. S.; Schweitzer, J.; Bentrem, D. J.; Glasheen, W. P.; Edlich, R. F.

In: Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants, Vol. 5, No. 2, 01.12.1995, p. 105-110.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - First metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasties in the commonwealth of Virginia

AU - O'Keefe, J. S.

AU - Schweitzer, J.

AU - Bentrem, D. J.

AU - Glasheen, W. P.

AU - Edlich, R. F.

PY - 1995/12/1

Y1 - 1995/12/1

N2 - This retrospective analysis of arthroplasty of the first metatarsophalangeal joint documents the incidence of surgery as well as the selection of the commercially available implants. During a 1-year period, 1994, arthroplasties were performed in 47 of the 1.7 million subscribers to Trigon Blue Cross Blue Shield of Virginia. Women received the majority of the arthroplasties (83%). Of the 47 cases, the silicone implant was predominantly used (83%). The most common indications for arthroplasty were hallux valgus (30%) and hallux rigidus (28%). Podiatrists performed 79% of the procedures, while orthopedic surgeons performed the remaining 21% of the cases. A prospective study is needed that will assess the long-term performance of the different implants.

AB - This retrospective analysis of arthroplasty of the first metatarsophalangeal joint documents the incidence of surgery as well as the selection of the commercially available implants. During a 1-year period, 1994, arthroplasties were performed in 47 of the 1.7 million subscribers to Trigon Blue Cross Blue Shield of Virginia. Women received the majority of the arthroplasties (83%). Of the 47 cases, the silicone implant was predominantly used (83%). The most common indications for arthroplasty were hallux valgus (30%) and hallux rigidus (28%). Podiatrists performed 79% of the procedures, while orthopedic surgeons performed the remaining 21% of the cases. A prospective study is needed that will assess the long-term performance of the different implants.

KW - first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty

KW - implant

KW - silicone

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0029565253&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0029565253&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 10163355

AN - SCOPUS:0029565253

VL - 5

SP - 105

EP - 110

JO - Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants

JF - Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants

SN - 1050-6934

IS - 2

ER -