Mitoxantrone, vincristine, and 5-fluorouracil with leucovorin modulation as induction chemotherapy prior to high-dose intensification in metastatic breast cancer

Stephanie F. Williams*, Susan E. Myers, Sheila Huffman, Rosemarie Mick, Jacob D. Bitran

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

We treated 39 women with newly diagnosed stage IV breast cancer with a new regimen of mitoxantrone 18 mg/m2 on days 1, 29, 57, vincristine 1.4 mg/m2 (maximum 2.0 mg) on days 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, 36, 43, 50, and 5-fluorouracil 375 mg/m2 on days 15-20, 43-47, 71-75 with leucovorin modulation 500 mg/m2 before each 5FU infusion (MVF). This regimen was utilized as an initial cytoreductive or induction program for these patients prior to high-dose intensification with autologous stem cell rescue. Ten patients (25%) obtained a clinical complete response and six patients (15%) obtained a partial response for an overall response rate of 40%. In addition, 10 patients had evaluable disease that was improved or stable (primarily bone and/or bone marrow metastases) after MVF induction. Thus, 26 patients (65%) were eligible for high-dose intensification with autologous stem cell rescue after MVF induction. Toxicity was primarily a mild mucositis and more commonly peripheral neuropathy. MVF therapy is an active treatment program for metastatic breast cancer but the neurotoxicity makes it difficult to recommend for widespread use.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)291-294
Number of pages4
JournalBreast Cancer Research and Treatment
Volume28
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1993
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • breast cancer
  • induction chemotherapy
  • mitoxantrone

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Mitoxantrone, vincristine, and 5-fluorouracil with leucovorin modulation as induction chemotherapy prior to high-dose intensification in metastatic breast cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this