Multiple autotransplantation of rat mammary tumors induced by 7,12- dimethyl-benz[a]anthracene: brief communication

C. Lee., A. Shih, R. Oyasu

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Scopus citations

Abstract

Mammary tumors induced in outbred Spraque-Dawley rats by 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene were excised, cut into 1- to 2-mm3 pieces, and then autotransplanted sc along the mammary line at six sites. Following an average period of 20-30 days, these autografts grew to approimately 2 cm in diameter in 32 of 48 rats (67%). Autografts in the other 33% of the rats remained dormant. Mammary tumors tansplanted into allogeneic hosts failed to grow. Tumors derived from autotransplantation were indistinguishable from their primary tumors with respect to their histologic features, the nature of hormone dependency, the content of estrogen receptors, and their ability to incorporate [3H]leucine. Furthermore, autotransplanted tumors derived from a single primary tumor varied little with regard to the preceding parameters; thus they provided an opportunity for serial sampling of individual tumors for repeated morphologic and biochemical evaluations.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)473-476
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of the National Cancer Institute
Volume60
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 1978

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Multiple autotransplantation of rat mammary tumors induced by 7,12- dimethyl-benz[a]anthracene: brief communication'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this