Aplanatic solid immersion lens (SIL) microscopy is required to achieve the highest possible resolution for next generation silicon IC backside inspection and failure analysis. However, aplanatic SILs are very susceptible to spherical aberrations introduced by substrate thickness mismatch. We correct this aberration using a MEMS deformable mirror. Good agreement between theory and experiment is achieved and spot intensity increases by a factor of two to three are demonstrated.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Surfaces, Coatings and Films
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Safety, Risk, Reliability and Quality