Ten-day decitabine as initial therapy for newly diagnosed patients with acute myeloid leukemia unfit for intensive chemotherapy

Bhavana Bhatnagar, Vu H. Duong, Theodore S. Gourdin, Michael L. Tidwell, Ching Chen, Yi Ning, Ashkan Emadi, Edward A. Sausville, Maria R. Baer*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

32 Scopus citations

Abstract

We retrospectively reviewed outcomes in 45 previously untreated patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) considered unfit for chemotherapy who were treated with 10-day courses of decitabine 20 mg/m daily outside of a clinical trial, with no cut-offs for organ function or performance status (PS). Nineteen had Eastern Cooperative Group performance status (ECOG PS) ≥ 2, and 39 had ≥ 2 comorbidities. Fourteen patients (31%) achieved complete remission (CR) and five (11%) CR with incomplete count recovery, for an overall response rate of 42%, after a median of 2 (range, 1-4) courses. The only pretreatment characteristic that differed significantly between responders and non-responders was percent marrow blasts (median 42% vs. 65%; p = 0.01). Median overall survival was 9.0 months; it was 19.4 and 2.3 months for responders and non-responders, respectively (p < 0.001). Thus 10-day decitabine therapy has efficacy in patients with AML considered unfit for chemotherapy, and may serve as a backbone for the addition of other novel agents.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1533-1537
Number of pages5
JournalLeukemia and Lymphoma
Volume55
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 2014

Keywords

  • Acute myeloid leukemia
  • Decitabine
  • Demethylating agents
  • Elderly

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology
  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Ten-day decitabine as initial therapy for newly diagnosed patients with acute myeloid leukemia unfit for intensive chemotherapy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Bhatnagar, B., Duong, V. H., Gourdin, T. S., Tidwell, M. L., Chen, C., Ning, Y., Emadi, A., Sausville, E. A., & Baer, M. R. (2014). Ten-day decitabine as initial therapy for newly diagnosed patients with acute myeloid leukemia unfit for intensive chemotherapy. Leukemia and Lymphoma, 55(7), 1533-1537. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2013.856425