The role of Holter monitoring in patients with recurrent sustained ventricular tachycardia: An electrophysiologic correlation

Marilyn D. Ezri*, Shoei K. Huang, Pablo Denes

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

22 Scopus citations

Abstract

The significance of spontaneous ventricular premature depolarization (VPD) frequency and severity in patients with sustained ventricular tachycardia undergoing serial electrophysiologic studies (EPS) are unknown. Nineteen patients with sustained ventricular tachycardia were studied with 24-hour Holter recordings prior to control EPS and prior to each drug trial. Successful drug or surgical treatment (with the exception of amiodarone) was based upon noninducibility of ventricular tachycardia in the laboratory. Among the eight noninducible and nonamiodarone medically treated patients, two (25%) had significant VPD reduction and/or Lown class improvement. The remaining six (75%) had no change or worsening of Holter findings, despite noninducibility of sustained VT. Among the six amiodarone-treated patients, five of whom were persistently inducible prior to discharge, four (66%) had improved and two (33%) had worsened Holter findings compared to control. None of the five (100%) surgically managed patients were inducible postoperatively, and three of the five (60%) had no change or worsening of Holter findings. We conclude that (1) EPS are superior to Holter findings in assessing successful management; and (2) Holter findings may be concordant or discordant during EPS serial drug trials or following surgery and therefore cannot predict the success or failure of the intervention.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1229-1236
Number of pages8
JournalAmerican heart journal
Volume108
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1984

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The role of Holter monitoring in patients with recurrent sustained ventricular tachycardia: An electrophysiologic correlation'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this