PRAME and NY-ESO-1 are cancer-testis antigens (CTAs) reported to be highly enriched in triple-negative breast cancers (TNBCs), against which vaccines and immunotherapies are currently being developed. This study aims to analyze PRAME and NY-ESO-1 expression in TNBCs and their correlation with clinical outcomes. This is a retrospective cohort study of TNBC patients who have undergone neoadjuvant chemotherapy. PRAME and NY-ESO-1 expression were assessed on pre-therapy biopsies as H-scores (percentage x intensity) with final H scores of 2–3 considered as positive. Association between expression and pathologic complete response (pCR), metastasis, and residual cancer burden (RCB) were assessed via logistic regression. Cox proportional hazards models were used to assess the association with progression-free survival. P-values < 0.05 were considered statistically significant. Sixty-three percent of 76 patients were positive for PRAME. In contrast, only 5 % were positive for NY-ESO-1. PRAME positivity was significantly associated with a lower likelihood of early metastatic disease (OR = 0.24, 95 % CI 0.08–0.62; P = 0.005). However, it was not significantly associated with pCR, RCB category, or progression-free survival. NY-ESO1 score was not significantly associated with early metastatic disease, pCR, RCB category, or progression-free survival. Our results suggest that PRAME positivity may be associated with a lower risk of early metastasis in TNBCs, but not with response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy or progression-free survival. The high expression of PRAME in TNBCs makes it a potential therapeutic target, while NY-ESO1 appears to be a less useful marker. However, further larger studies are needed to ascertain the utility of these markers.
- Breast carcinoma
- Gene expression
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Pathology and Forensic Medicine
- Cell Biology