Treatment of advanced refractory lymphomas with a combination of carmustine, bleomycin, teniposide, dexamethasone, and cisplatin (The BBVDD regimen)

A. S D Spiers, J. H. Weens, J. M. Rowe, T. J. Smith, J. Horton, L. I. Gordon, J. H. Glick

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Scopus citations

Abstract

Forty-four patients with relapsed, refractory malignant lymphomas (12 Hodgkin's disease, 32 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) were treated with a combination of carmustine, bleomycin, teniposide, dexamethasone, and cisplatin (BBVDD regimen). Patients had failed at least one, and frequently two, chemotherapy regimens before admission to the study. Of the patients with Hodgkin's disease, 2 (17%) achieved complete response (CR), and 3 (25%) attained a partial response (PR) for an overall response rate (CR + PR) of 42%. Among the patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma there were 6 CR (19%) and 12 PR (37%), for an overall response rate of 56%. Median durations of response ranged from 2.5 months for nodular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in PR to 28.5+ months for Hodgkin's disease in CR. In these heavily pretreated patients, the incidence of toxic effects was grade 3 (48%), grade 4 (23%), grade 5 (2%). The one death (grade 5 toxicity) was attributed to pulmonary impairment due to bleomycin.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)519-525
Number of pages7
JournalAmerican Journal of Clinical Oncology: Cancer Clinical Trials
Volume14
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - 1991

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Treatment of advanced refractory lymphomas with a combination of carmustine, bleomycin, teniposide, dexamethasone, and cisplatin (The BBVDD regimen)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this